Friday 8 June 2012

Sony Nex 5N - update


So, I have been using the Nex 5N a little longer.
On the plus side I find the size and portability excellent and the EVF a definite bonus – almost a must have despite it’s ridiculous price!  My only lens, for the moment is the kit 18-55mm and I have been impressed by the image quality for a “cheap” lens.  Have bought a Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 on eBay together with an adaptor and when they arrive it will be interesting to see how a manual lens with manual focussing using focus peaking works in practice.  Have not had problems with the controls although of course the extra controls on the Nex 7 would probably be an advantage.
Still find it strange that the kit is sold with a flash but without body caps!  There also seems to be a shortage of Sony accessories as I would have liked the Sony half case, but I understand that production has been stepped up recently so some might become available soon.
I tend to work mainly in aperture priority and have not tried out any of the snapshot or scene modes, neither have I tried the panorama or other features – not really my thing.  In aperture mode have set the lower button to ISO, the right button to exposure lock, and the wheel to change aperture – seems to work well.  Like others I find the positioning of the movie button makes it liable to be pressed accidently although I have only done it once – so far!
The positioning of the strap attachment lugs could be further forward as the camera tends to hang “lens down” .
As mentioned above the EVF is almost a must have, although in bright sunlight I find the shadows tend to be blocked out but a small price to pay for the ability to see properly in bight conditions compared to the screen.
Now if only the weather would improve I could give it a good try out.  Hopefully, and according to the weather forecast it will be better tomorrow when I will be in London – fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment